Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 14, 2013

PHILOMENA, Feeding the homeless, and BOCELLI

Saturday, Dec 14, 2013

Good morning from a beautiful Sunny Sarasota,

Had a lover-ly day yesterday..... beginning with lingonberry crepes at IHOP with the grown daughter of a friend. She is an architect and just moved back into town with her young family. I have known her since she was a baby, as her folks lived down the street on Siesta Key...  Live on a Circle, and love how life constantly comes full circle.

Took a fabulous SIESTA. Even if I am not living at my home on SIESTA key: I can still pretend I am obedient to its name.

I went to the MALL. First to the movies. Then: holiday look-see. I saw an incredible film with the incomparable Judi Dench, with closeups galore- and I was mesmerized. Of course, I sat in the front row, so every pore in Judi's face was UP CLOSE and quite personal from my vantage point. It felt like I could even pick her nose, if needed.

I saw PHILOMENA. It was an artfully constructed story, with a sweet sense of humor between an 'old' lady and a reporter. The film begins on the 50th Birthday of a son who was stolen from Philomena when he was 4. It is a true story of an era in the 50's where, (in this case Irish) unwed mothers were sent to a Catholic Home where they worked for four years, after giving birth as payment AND, where the Church sold their babies to the highest bidding American Catholic families for adoption. Philomena had kept her lost son a secret until his 50th birthday. That unveiling of her truth leads her to a journey to find her son in America. Along with her is a writer whose magazine is footing the expense in exchange for a human interest story. The movie reminds me of me on the OPPOSITE side of the story.

Philomena only wanted one question answered from him : "Did he ever think of her, and of  his original Ireland?" She also wanted to be sure he didn't grow up homeless. How that answer is unveiled to her is the beauty and gem: the heart of the story. It is about 'going home': it is that CIRCLE of LIFE again. Philomena discovers her son was GAY in her journey. She says in the movie that she had always known it, even as a baby boy.  My son is gay. I have known it since he was just 18 months old.

I know that had I been adopted, given my personality and curiosity: I would have been hell bent in finding my birth mom. As the adopted mom, I would be hell-bent- if it were MY journey. But, it is not. That road belongs to each of my children should they ever chose to go down it.

I have often wanted and wandered about my children's biological moms. I know that on each of my children's birthdays: they have another woman whose life on that day must be consumed with thoughts of the baby relinquished. Of my son and daughter: and I love those woman. The gifts I was given is most unimaginable. I have always wanted to meet them and say "THANK YOU", though words are not the important part of the equation. It is BEING so grateful that is important.

Wouldn't it be amazing if either of my children's biological mothers read this blog? Hmmm. My son's birthday is August 2, 1985. My daughter's is TAX DAY, April 1`5, 1985. Stranger things have happened. But, not to me in the past week.

Today I offered to help feed the homeless at Payne Park with my friend LeeLee. I await her marching instructions. Then, this evening- the "GIRLS" are off to an evening with ANDREA BOCELLI in Tampa. I could use some ITALIANO infusion. I have seen Andrea before. Of course his voice is dreamy. He is not, of course - very animated on the stage..... the the show is not a SHOW exactly. It is a concert type show. I am blessed this evening to be a part of it, as I could use some soulful singing in my life. And the girls: these are GREAT WOMEN.

Hope yours is a full Saturday. And, here is a big GRIN for you and your loyalty,

Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment