Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Home is where FAMILY gathers.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

I awoke from my day of emotional tears... to a new day.

Isn't it great that we get to invent each day, as it comes?

Yesterday, I had a manicure with a lady who was very nice. I found her on 'living social'- it was a delightful two hours of being touched. I have been going to Vietnamese nail techs, and so it is a charming experience to actually talk and enjoy the blah blah of girly chat over nails.

I picked up my errant car- which is a good thing. A breath of independence.

I delivered all of my clean clothes back to my home, to be ironed and to have another chapter in my life. Small steps at re-establishing a life.

My brother Eddie and his wife, Laura arrived last night to visit for a couple of days. Eddie and I are very close and always have been. We are two years apart, and two days. Therefore, we also always shared our birthdays together as kids.

He has known his wife since Junior High School (just the phrase "junior high" dates me... as it is now 'middle school') which means I have known her for 50+ years. She is my sister. I am hers. She is the oldest kid with 6 younger brothers. So, we share so much history together. She is so sweet and 'gets' me. She inspires me with her bright curiosity and creativity. She and Eddie are red heads and have two red haired daughters. They always looked more like brother & sister than Eddie and I did, as I have dark hair. As teenagers, Eddie would always walks ahead of me ... to insure that no one mistook us for girl-friend and boy-friend.

We ate Maine Lobsters last night for $14! Now, that is a deal. Bib and all: super scrumptious and juicy. This morning we all visited our Dad. He recognized Eddie and I. He knew Laura's name, but didn't know that she was Eddie wife of 42 years! It was a nice visit. Eddie will return tomorrow solo while I take Laura to Selby Gardens. Since her retirement of 6 weeks, Laura's first project is becoming a 'master gardener'- So, this should prove a perfect outing! Selby Gardens is on the Bayfront- and is known for its orchid collection.

There is something about family, about old childhood friends. You never have to explain anything. You don't have to explain the 'players' in your life. There is a trust that comes from years of loyalty. And, I can tease- like with no one else: I have had 63 years of practice with Eddie as a good teacher.
As a kid, Eddie was my rock and my soft place in a home with lots of turmoil and angst. Repartee comes from decades of banter. Being with family is HOME. It is NOT the house.

That is a good reminder for me. MY HOUSE has been MY HOME. But really: my HOME is where my family gathers, wherever that takes us. Even after 40 years in one home- it becomes less the rock and more dispensable.

Whew.

Thanks for visiting.... on this beautiful and PERFECT Florida day.

Warmth, smiles,
Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment