Total Pageviews

Friday, December 13, 2013

LEMURISCIOUSLY ALIVE

Friday, Dec 13, 2013

Today is FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH?

Wow!

Yesterday was a full day.

Had the most delicious, lunch in a funky place.... antiques and family treasures of the owner and chef. Coffee with a plentiful portion of home-made marshmallows... and a super soup of veggies and
coconut. They even serve a soup with parmesan cheese ice cream!

Saw the Dallas Buyers Club at the Art cinema in town. Starring Mathew McConehy, as an emaciated man living with aids: it is haunting, still. My girl friend and I were exhausted by the time we came out of the movie, as it took a lot of energy out of us.

It is the story of the beginning of Aids in the US. The desperation. The innuendoes. The pain. The misunderstanding. The alienation. The politics of drugs and medicine.

Then... a  most fascinating evening with the LEMUR Conservation Foundation first fundraiser. There were mostly 'new to me' folks, which is refreshing. There was a gal I just met whose kids now live in Manhassett! My life in reverse. This new gal friend also goes to my favorite hotel in the world "Il San Pietro" in Positano, Italy.... every year. Between those two things- you gotta know we had a 'sympatico' New York repartee going on.

That was a kick.

Then, I ran into this lady, whose name I didn't catch. She knew me immediately. I could tell she was quite the character- had tons of spunk.... and was a woman with conviction. Active in the MUSICA series in town... she started talking to me. She talked about my son's 18th birthday in Italy, about my husband dying in Italy... it was both a bit 'spooky' and yet in a small town: normal. It was humbling.
And, it was very reassuring.... in that on some unknown level "I belong" to a larger community and consciousness. And, likewise the community belongs to me, too. She made me felt important, by her knowing about me.

Along the way, I managed to sit at the head table with the CHAIR of the event... and my table mate was another DEAR old friend of mine. I never ever get a chance to have dinner with her: and voila! Lemurisciously, I was allowed a dinner with someone I admire, adore and like. How cool was that for me? Super wonderful.

And, if that wasn't enough..... the table mate on the other side of me happened to be one of my all time favorite actresses: Blair Brown. I went to Pine Manor College in Chestnut Hill, MA.. The CHAIR of the event went to Pine Manor College. And, Blair Brown went to Pine Manor College. Now, for a tiny all women's college- that was a pretty cool 'circle' that just happened. Blair Brown was in one of my all time favorite little movies with John Beluschi called "Continental Divide". A sweet romance. Blair promised to take me on a personal walking tour of HY-LINE the next time I am in NEW YORK. I am doing that one! And.... by the way: the very first female PRESIDENT & CEO of the METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, is also a Pine Manor graduate!

The last little funny detail from last night was that the CEO of the LEMUR Foundation is named: LEE.
I have corresponded for a couple of years with LEE. I always (for no particular reason) imagined LEE as a man. I always assumed I was writing a man. I was stunned to finally meet LEE and realize that she is a GAL. I found that funny. Where are 'assumptions' come from started to fascinate me.

At any rate: good day to be alive... to learn... to meet new friends along the way, and to spend time with old ones.

Smiles, and thanks for stopping by.

Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment