Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 1, 2013

tucked away in Nantucket

Sunday, September 1, 2013

I have taken a couple of weeks off: to just live and experience without thought on how to express all the wonderful little marvelous details that sweep across my senses daily. I will try to recoop some of those moments throughout the next few days.... expressing them upon reflection, giving them a bit of a different flair.

Today, I am in charming Nantucket Island with two dear sweet gal friends of mine. This trek up to the northeastern US- is becoming a tradition among us... making this the third consecutive summer we have been here together. My friend Ann has a home and MeMe and I are privileged to soak up the stone streets, brick sidewalks, flower boxes, the smell of the cool fresh Atlantic air, and of course a few "DARK and STORMY" beverages along the way. Yesterday, we went to Madeket and ate at the local hangout "Millies".... dining on fabulous fried clams and tartare sauce. Fresh, not frozen. And, we watched the US OPEN on television- seeing Giorgi from Italy beat Wozniacki (sp?) Giorgi is darling and I am always for the underdog. The evening of our arrival had us sailing out from the harbor on a 1920's wooden exquisite yacht called "THE BELLE"- having appetizers and more Dark and Stormy's. Getting into the local culture includes the local specialty, which I am eager to embrace. In Italy: it is pizzoccheri, negroni... and on Nantucket: it is Triple eight vodka and lobster rolls.  There were some colorful characters on the sunset cruise, including the boat, itself. Graceful lines, beautiful mohagany wood, cool breezes collectively made for a perfect evening.

I arrived in Nantucket in a circuitous route, which I loved. I flew at midnight from Milano to Reykjavik, Iceland, arriving at my hotel at 4:00am. I am not sure why I was stunned that it was FREEZING, as it is called Iceland after all- and NOt  SUNNYland! But, I was stung by the wind whipping its frigid air about me. Silly me. I stayed at the Blue Lagoon Clinic hotel, situated half way between the airport and the capital city. The hotel hallway was a perfect interpretation of the 'nickname' of Iceland: which is the land of FIRE and ICE. One side of the hallway had walls of dark charcoal colored lava. The other side, was etched glass- which looked like frozen ice. When I awoke in my bedroom the next morning at 10:00am... I looked out my window- with a view that resembled a dark and mossy moonscape. Simply breathtakingly weird, stark and dramatic. I had the stopover to primarily treat myself to a WATER MASSAGE in the hot, and bright light blue thermal waters. It did not disappoint. The massage therapist had me horizontal on what looked like a yoga mat, while floating in the water. Then, she put a water soaked (of course) heavy towel over me, keeping me toasty warm. I felt like a wet taco enveloped in squishy shell. My face was exposed: it felt like snow was trickling down upon my cheeks... although it was not snow- just the cold dew of the windswept day.
While floating, she massaged each part of my body, as if I was on land. At the end of each part, she took the mat and as if making a bed.... shook the mat as if it was a sheet being put on a bed. I was part of the wave. It was just sensual and lovely. And, I would make that circuitous route again! It was an easier transition to adjusting to the time differences and made the trip seem 'shorter'- although it took an extra day.

I got stopped at the border when departing and got into trouble, as I had been gone for more than 4 months. The maximum visit to the European union is 3 months every six. So, my name is now in the worldwide computer network. She was a mean customs gal: saying to me, "If this had happened in the USA, you would be in prison". I said "but I am leaving now!" I hadn't a clue that there was a limit to a stay... which seems counter intuitive to the economic health of Europe: because the end result was spending money in Europe. But, it is always the details in life that can boggle one down.

After four months away, I craved: a steak, hamburger, sushi, lobster and thai food. I satiated my hamburger craving... and will go through my bucket list in the next few weeks. Yum. So, American!

I have found a translator for my manuscript: to translate it into Italian. It is a young gal who read it and is very excited to work on it. I know that it is a big deal, and the enthusiasm is so welcome.

The wind is allowing the trees to sway and the hydrangeas to bend along with the long stem fragrant roses.... the grass is like velvet underneath bare feet- unlike the stiff Bermuda grass of Florida. The graying shingles of the houses with  all colors of window shutters, make this little piece of Americana a treasure.

Happy Sunday, and keep clicking- please

smiles
Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment