Total Pageviews

Monday, September 9, 2013

Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Boston

Monday -9-9-13, September 9th, 2013

I have been away from a computer and the ability to be verbal alla the keyboard. Martha's Vineyard is a gritty Nantucket.... offering a less monochromatic version of New England's beautiful and bountiful islands.

Saw the BUTLER movie.... and as an American History lover- enjoyed the portrayals of the presidents. IE: Robin Williams playing Eisenhower, John Cusak playing Nixon, etc.... . It was an interesting panorama of one person's view of history. I particularly found it interesting that Black folks were the servers at the White House even through Reagan's administration- and that they were paid LESS than their White counter-parts.... even in our recent history.

I stayed with a longtime friend and neighbor in her family land... being a part of seeing her create a new homestead, steadily and in phases. Her home is charm personified with a sweet coziness that a cottage requires. Fresh hewn branches arch from floor to ceiling to create a division between bedroom and living room, and adorn the corners of the roofline outdoors. There is nature inside and out- giving the allusion of greater space, as the outside is part of the interior space.

I was compelled to visit my Sarasota friend and neighbor and spent more time with her in the three days in Martha's Vineyard than I do when in Sarasota, just two doors down from me. My girlfriend grew up on the island, and is an ISLAND GAL through and through. The sense of history - of hers and of Martha's Vineyard is fascinating. Great stories: like the one where her mom ordered their first cow from Macy's in New York. From the fifth floor.... delivered to Martha's Vineyard via a truck and a red carpet which the cow walked on to get arrive at their home. Today, her bedspread in her new cottage also comes from Macy's: over the 4 decades- cows to bed coverings, compliments of Macy's store!

We went swimming in Great Plains pond- refreshing and cool...... and in the Atlantic by South Shore beaches. Lying on the beach, I could feel the huge tug of the tides and waves- rushing into shore, and then driving the water back out to sea. The pull of the earth's forces was magnetic. We watched as two little twin two year old boys darting along the shore with their father, taking hundreds of tiny steps to stay up with their father's large stride. Each had a floppy hat and were a picture that was all too darling, and classic. We went to the Martha's Vineyard museum, which was interesting- a home from the early 1700's....including grave stones from treasured chickens in the 1800's... connecting us with pre-Revolutionary history to the present. We went to the thrift shop, had lunch at a friend's home in Oak Bluffs ( that darling gingerbread area of Marth'a Vineyard and the first Black resort in the USA) We went out on an oyster farming boat and cruised into Edgartown Harbor at sunset, which is New England charm at its best. I saw the oyster farms and learned that oysters must be constantly cleaned as they take 14 months to grow into maturity and into the size that our palates will devour. Watched lots of US OPEN and talked. Always talking! Girlfriends are great that way. Took my showers in the outdoor shower, which is always an awesome way to become clean. And visited friends in Vineyard Haven- a complete and wonderful three days.

Have been in Boston for the past couple of days. I saw my mentor- who is excited about my next phase to get my manuscript published: the ever tough QUERY letter to solicit agents to rally around my book to be. David, is a darling 80+ year old man who is my fan and my cheerleader, among others. But, there is something so special about David and his all too cute and tiny wife- Jeanne. She and I are both alums of the same school, albeit a few decades of difference. They both inspire me. It is true affection for them that warms my heart.

Have also been visiting an old friend... from 40+ years ago: reconnecting and realizing that there is an easy flow after 40 years, is a treasure. It is another great connecting circle in life, that is reassuring and refreshing. Another gift to celebrate.

Today, I will take the train from Boston to western Mass to see both my kids. I have not been with both George and Carlyle together for over a year and am looking forward to having both my babies with me, again.

Happy Monday,

Smiles
Keep clicking! Happy US OPEN Men's Finals

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment