Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Backgammon, Mancala, swimming and spring rolls

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Family time: that is what Italy is for me. It fills my heart and soul, JUST being a part of the lake's grandeur. But, this is about spending time with my family- my kids. My family of friends surround me with a bounty, too: but this is family time. I am missing George's inability to be with us, but am so loving my time with Carlyle and Casey. Easy going. The other evening, Carlyle and I stayed up till 2am playing backgammon in the terrace and mancala ( an african game with seeds). She slaughtered me... but both games allow easy conversation and repartee. It reminded me of when Carlyle was 4 years old and would spend hours with her Daddy as he taught her backgammon on the dining room table at Villa Evelyn- our first home on the lake. Before long: Carlyle was slamming everyone at an early age. Quite amazing for a little girl who didn't speak then. Her brain was working even when words failed. (She had a subsequent operation that restored her hearing from 50% to 100%) We bought a mancala game when we traveled to Africa, a year after George's passing... so even that game has roots in Carlyle's childhood. I like that tradition... and it is a bit unique. We went to Africa a year after George's passing for two important reasons: one was a promise that George and I had made to each other to be sure to have the kids witness the wonder of an African safari, as you feel as if you are seeing LIFE and the UNIVERSE as it first began: wild animals roaming. The second reason was that I wanted my kids to KNOW that DEATH is PART of LIFE. It is part of the amazing circle and cycle, and that each serves its part in the grander scheme. I didn't want DEATH to be scary or abnormal. It is like puberty- a rite of passage, and expected.

Yesterday, we swam in the lake! Liquid Silk. That is what it feels like on my skin. Fresh and Refreshing and fun to be playful with my kids. We enter the lake from a series of OLD steps, which get steeper and slopier and more slippery the closer you get to the water.... which makes exiting a bit awkward and unfeminine, as you must LUG yourself up in hopes of not falling back in the lake. The kids like it here, as it is a bit private and you can swim as if it your private lake.

Last evening, we journeyed to a Chinese Restaurant. An ethic restaurant along the lake is not easy to find. ..... as the Italians LOVE the Italian palate. Americans seem to embrace all kinds of flavors, as that is what we are as a PEOPLE: a combination of a variety of flavors. It is what defines us, as Americans. At any rate: chinese food does NOT taste the same in the USA as it does in Italy, or in  China, for that matter. But, it was good to dip the tongue into a different taste sensation. We love this chinese restaurant..., strung with lanterns. At the end of the meal, the owner gifts pierced pearl stud earrings for each of the girls. I would be afraid to put them in my lobes: but, it is always a sweet gesture. For the men: pineapple boat.

Today, we are back on the Italian track, as an Italian friend is coming by to make lunch. Today it is olive oil without the Chinese MSG. What a trade!

Tomorrow a good American friend who lives in Berlin will arrive.... He is Carlyle's age and they grew up together. I love him, too! Astrid, "my first born" arrived in the USA to be his babysitter when she was just 18. So, we have all been a family of friends for a long time. He was our tour guide a couple of years ago when we visited him in Berlin. He was making up for all the years I did that for him when he came to visit in italy. He couldn't be a sweeter young man. Always has been.

Hope that yours is a wonderful Wednesday..... keep visiting this sight, as it helps me.

Smiles,
Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment