Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The GRAY LADY

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

As I stepped from my gray shingle Nantucket cottage-ette into the soft cool breeze of Tuesday morning, I knew why Nantucket is called "The GRAY LADY", as there is a soft white haze and mist in the sky. Not blue. The Whiteness blends into the gray shingle homes with their oftentimes white trim and except for the abundant flowers and verdant soft green of the grass: is monochromatic. The hydrangeas in all colors from white to blue to a deep mauve, mixed with fragrant roses, and sunflowers pop in backdrop of the grayness and give a sense of life to the visual palate. The soft breezes are allowing the long stemmed flowers to dance and sway.

I am enjoying my GIRL TIME. Easy. My girlfriends are nice, and interesting women: well read... lovers of books, actually- well educated and well traveled, with big hearts and a sense of the adventure of life, while all the time being grounded in family and love of children. It is a wonderful mix. They are also tennis lovers, so we have been animated in watching Nadal scratch his ass, and sniff his hands upon each play. Of course, my friends are also gourmands: loving to dine, which we do all so well here in Nantucket. Yesterday, we feasted at the Westmoor Club outdoors in the midst of looking at the green grass of a croquet game, flanked by huge pots of petunias. Such grace at the Gray Lady.

Today, we intend to be 'cultured' and go to the Lighthouse Basket Museum to see where the ever famous and dear wicker basket purses with ivory carved tops originated. Perhaps, we will also manage to see The Butler movie. I am having a movieaholic attack from lack of seeing a movie in four months.

Tomorrow I depart to visit another dear friend and neighbor from Sarasota on Martha's Vineyard... so more Americana alla island living is in my future.

Smiles for this tuesday, and thanks for clicking onto me.

Judy






No comments:

Post a Comment