Total Pageviews

Monday, January 20, 2014

The art of a slow moving week-end

Monday…. a government holiday, January 20, 2014


It is still a brisk Sarasota morning. Only a wimpy Floridian would consider this 'brisk'. Perhaps, FRESH is a better word. Fresca, indeed.

I spent a very quiet week-end as to be almost uneventful. I either go full out, or not at all. I like it all. The older I get the more I am preferring the 'not at all'.

I went to the Farmer's Market in downtown Sarasota in the morning with Astrid, Pip and Fin along with my MIN-PIN "Curry". The dogs gets to mingle with lots of dogs, which means that he gets to smell lots of dogs. He gets to pee on all the bushes in the medians.

It was so darling: Pip wanted to walk Curry on the leash. Pip and Curry are about the same size: not weight. Curry is only 6 lbs., but he was pulling Pip along. Pip was so patient with Curry and so attentive. When Curry was shaking, Pip would snuggle him in his arms. It was all so sweet. Pip was even great with his baby brother, which is always a gift…. to be reinforced. When I said to Pip, "Thank you for being so good with Curry", his wee voice said "Your welcome". Actually, it sounds like "Your TELcome". For Pip, almost every word starts with a "T". I went 'Tishing". Or  "I like Tocholate".
I just love four year olds. Fin, of course was a happy camper, snacking of bits of empanadas. That was a cultural culinary first for Astrid: a bit of South America tempting her palate. We ate in front of the musician who asked Astrid to get her stroller out from in front of him. He was right, of course- but when one is chasing after an 18 month old…… one leaves the stroller behind. A bit of chaos among the bounty of a simple morning at the outdoor market.  Good family morning.

Then… good family afternoon. I met Astrid at Siesta Wines, for a sip of Pinot Grigio.

Followed by a good family evening. I went to dinner with Astrid, her fiancé, and the two grand-babies.
The littlest baby just darts and runs everywhere on his tip-toes. And, always with a big GRIN on his face. A smile which squishes the cheeks into joyful plumps…. and brings joy to those who watch it.
Fin copies everything. Every hand motion, step, intonation (as words are still challenging), dance. He is acutely observant and a participant to what he sees. He says "BAH LOOOON" perfectly (balloon)

I did manage to empty out my current bedroom space, to make way for new wooden floors in Carlyle's home. It will be such a fine change, as the multitudes of puppies have wrecked havoc on what was once carpeting. It is just nasty yuck stuff now. But 'away it goes' today. Yeah.

I went shopping yesterday for a 'housewarming' gift for a 28 year old young man…. whom I have known since he was in kindergarden with my daughter, Carlyle. At first I was in search of a huge metal punch bowl. A HUGE ONE. My husband loved a huge metal punch bowl. It looked cool. It wouldn't break. He could put enough of his 'killer punch' ingredients inside to last an evening….. so, it was low maintenance during critical party time. But, I didn't find any. Not even UNCOOL punch bowls. So, it was not to be.

I thought to buy an Armatele metal serving platter…. but was inspired by another idea when I unexpectedly discovered it on the store shelves. Everyone needs a tray. As silly and unexciting as that may be: everyone can use a tray. It can be decorative and functional. So, I found this lacquered tray with a  beautiful painting of fish shining through the clear coating. It is masculine enough. It is a beautifully crafted piece, making  it special. I wanted something special. I wanted something that he might not think to buy for himself, exactly. After all, I am his "AJ"- Aunt Judy. He deserves something special.

Saw two dull normal movies for a perfectly dull normal Sunday : "Switch" with Jennifer Anniston… and "Cowboys & Angels"… a romantic drivel with pretty looking unknown actors. Dull normal to perfection.

I am looking for an air scrubber today. Wish me luck

smiles
Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment