Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Turkey, triptophane, and Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day, 2013

A day to give thanks.

One day a year we are asked for a moment of gratitude. Which requires a certain amount of grace.

It amazes me that Americans frenetically fly, drive, travel for one meal. That is a lot of time, energy and resources for one dinner. The adds up to a lot of humanity moving about. For one repast. It is stunning, really. What motivates us Americans to be obsessed with this one day? Is is that is is an ALL AMERICAN holiday- separating us from the rest of the pack? Is it that we are eager to be thankful? Is it that we have an excuse to be gluttonous under the guise of tradition? Is it that we move heaven and earth sometimes to be home for this holiday? Is it about generosity of spirit and family?

At any rate: I awaken to a home without cable: no Thanksgiving Day Parade. No Dog Show at Madison Square Garden. Those are part of what defines this day for me: besides dining on turkey at least once a year- with stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy and cranberry sauce. Topped with Pecan & Apple pies ala mode.

Yum. Casey, Carlyle and I are having a Thanksgiving picnic in their screened in back porch. Feast cooked by Morton's Market- an upscale Sarasota Landmark and food market. No fuss. No muss.

I put out my Grandma's cloth placemats and we will create our own feast, casual style ala outside. Hope the sun keeps the cool away.

Yesterday, we went to see Howard- my 93 year old dad. He was delighted to see me, and he realized it had been awhile. Good on him, as they might say down under. He didn't recognize his grand daughter, Carlyle and it would reason, that he wouldn't know her boyfriend either. But, they got a kick out of being at the old age home. There were lots of folks who were happy to see me after months of being away. I have 'buds' at the dementia wing of the old age home! I am paving the way for my future.

Happy Thanksgiving to all with warmth and a big smile


Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment