Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015- fifteen years after the millennium, and the beginning of a new season

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I like writing 2015. It seems an easy number. Yet, I must admit that the number represents 15 years past the millennium. It is almost a generation past the turn of the century. It is a chunk of time. Yet,  it seems like only last week that we were worried that all the computers were going to crash. The Y2K challenge. The universe keeps turning, despite our craziness over minutiae.

As long as I am wondering about minutiae…. who ever remembers the first 15 years of history of any century? Have you ever thought about the 'history' between 1900 and 1915? Did anything happen during those years? How about 1800 to 1815? Can you think of anything significant between those years?

Things in history seem to happen in years AFTER the first decade of any century. Or, so it seems.
Lincoln was killed mid century. Kennedy was killed mid century. World Wars happened after the first decade of the century. Even the war of 1812 happened after the first decade of that century.

Hmm.

I am in the throes of finalizing a trip to South Africa that I have created for a family. I love South Africa and I adore planning a 'once in a lifetime experience'… for people. This trip took me as much time to plan, as it will for the travelers to do the trip! I have lived through it vicariously and with each decision made to optimize the varieties of experiences that South Africa offers: walking, evening and elephant safariing, hot air ballooning, visit to a local school…and evening in an outdoor tree-house, and in tents, of course. I have been working on this trip for over a year… and it is almost ready to be launched.

I have also have a revelation about my home. I had been sad in this beautiful home by the beach. It is far too large for one person and was created to have life and living within its walls. It seemed a dying home, and I had lost interest in it and all the work and attention it involves. I was 'so over it'. I started looking at other places to live. I have been poking in and out of apartments, condo's, homes to see what the new season in my life would look like. Every time, I came back to the idea that I would like to create my home, only smaller. But, I know my home. I know the nuances. I live in a bomb shelter with every wall and ceiling made from a foot of poured concrete. What isn't concrete is glass. So, I have arrived at a different point of excitement. I have put my home on Airbnb, and have it rented for a few weeks. After all, I am gone 90 days each year in Italy. I have primped it up, and fixed up all the thousands of tiny little things that have broken over the 30 years…. tiny, annoying things. I landscaped it, black topped the driveway, painted the doorways which had become yellowed in a sad way.  I am so happy, as my home is alive again and will be the host to so many memories for families in the future- much the same way that Italy does for families. It makes me feel like a 'dream merchant', as my husband used to call me.

It is a sunny, cool and crisp Sarasota January morning. I am ready for the beginning.

Warmth, smiles,
Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment